Area of Concentration: Oceanography
The area will focus on investigating abiotic and biotic systems, processes and phenomena of the marine environment. Special attention will be given to the study of the characteristic physical, chemical and geological processes of coastlines, especially of the coast of Santa Catarina, investigating oceanographic processes in medium and large scale in the South Atlantic Ocean and researches related to determining the structure, function and dynamics of populations, communities and coastal and oceanic ecosystems. Researches related to the use, management and conservation of marine systems complement the scope of the focus.
Lines of Research:
“Dynamics and Management of Coastal Systems (DMCS)”: the line intends to extend the basic knowledge and generate applied research on:
1) the main hydrodynamic, hydrochemical, geomorphological and sedimentological processes operating in the coastal zone from the development of experimental (field and laboratory) and theoretical (numerical modeling and spatial analysis) investigations;
2) the dynamics of populations, communities and coastal ecosystems in different scales of ecological and oceanographic processes;
3) scientific, social and applied aspects related to the use and occupation of the coastal zone, aiming at the critical analysis and at designing actions of environmental planning and management.
“Dynamics and management of Oceanic Systems (DMOS)”: the line aims to promote the development of research on:
1) the main processes of ocean circulation in the South Atlantic, their interaction with the atmosphere and the possible consequences for the climate in South America and its marine biodiversity;
2) the dynamics of populations, communities and marine ecosystems, considering large-scale processes and the abiotic factors that condition the regional diversity;
3) the scientific, social and applied aspects related to the use of oceans, considering the legal framework and the existing national and international policies.